Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wellington Crescent

Went for a nice drive through Wellington Crescent. The houses there are old, stately, and so very different from what you see in Hawaii. Many are like mansions, and a few are covered in ivy.

There is a sign warning drivers that the road is closed on Sundays and Holidays to thru traffic because the road becomes a large bike path. I have never seen such a thing until I came here! Imagine, closing off a road just for bikes.

I was also fascinated by the architecture of the houses. I could almost imagine what it was like to live here at the turn of the century! These are homes made of brick worn down with age. The road's median is a walking path that is maintained like a garden. My father-in-law tells me that cable cars run through here.

The road eventually leads into Assiniboine Park and it's many attractions. I am struck by its size and beauty. Most stunning of all is the Pavilion Gallery which sits like a castle in the center of it all. There are several lanes and parking areas throughout the park. All the parks I've been to back home have a perfunctory lane leading to a small parking lot where you'd be lucky to find an empty stall.

No comments:

Post a Comment